Asbestos is commonly found in the insulation of homes and can be inhaled if damaged. It was commonly used because of its resistance to fire in addition to being able to adequately insulate a home. Older homes constructed between the 1940’s and 1970’s could possibly contain asbestos. This should be removed and replaced with another insulator that is less harmful to your health.
Where is Asbestos Found?
Asbestos is found in many different building materials including some types of:
Window caulking and glazing
HVAC duct insulation
When is Asbestos Harmful?
Whenever a material containing asbestos becomes damaged, it is dangerous to your health. The fibers if left unharmed will not hurt you. However, if the material becomes damaged it is even possible for asbestos fibers to become released into the air where they can be inhaled. If you see any materials with asbestos that are damaged, do not go near them. Call a professional to come and assess the situation to determine the proper course of action.
When some experiences prolonged exposure to asbestos they can develop a condition called asbestosis. Knowing if you’ve been exposed directly to asbestos will help in determining if this is the cause of your medical condition. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms following asbestos exposure, you may have asbestosis:
Constant dry cough
Tightness in the chest
Loss of appetite
Swollen fingers and toes
Shortness of breath
Dry, crackling noise in lungs
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms you should see a doctor and talk to them about your asbestos exposure.
Call Water Damage Zone, Inc. today (877) 520.1923– your future bills may be a lot smaller, if you follow these simple tips. You can also visit our sister company for further information on restoration services at Best American Builders.
We specialize in the following services:
Water Damage Zone, Inc.
15115 Califa St. Ste. C
Van Nuys, CA 91411