dailypost.wordpress.com: Daily Prompt: B

dailypost.wordpress.com: Daily Prompt: Burning Down the House: Your home is on fire. Grab five items (assume all people and animals are saf… http://wp.me/p23sd-3xH http://ow.ly/hjogo http://ow.ly/i/1s6tG

Keeping Your Home Dry This Weekend

Keeping Your Home Dry This Weekend
Water Damage Prevention For Your Home

If you notice any standing water building up on the outside of your home or if the water is flowing towards the outside walls, be sure and add a few sandbags to redirect the water.
To prevent the water from eventually seeping into your home causing water damage.

Should you have any problems this weekend be sure and call a water damage specialist (877) 520-1926.

I love this, sometimes you get caught up on trying to perfect the post and start writing and re-writing, this makes it a sort of challenge for yourself!

What To Expect In The Water Damage Process

Water Damage

Call Toll FREE: (877) 520-1923

Water Damage Classifications 

Water damage is classified into one of the following 4 classes:

  • Class 1: Water Damage – Slow Evaporation Rate: Water losses that affect only part of a room or area, or losses with lower permeance /porosity materials (e.g., plywood, particle board, structural wood, VCT, concrete). Little or no wet carpet or padding is present. Minimum moisture is absorbed by materials, releasing moisture slowly.
  • Class 2: Water Damage – Fast Evaporation Rate: Water losses that affect an entire room or carpet and cushion. Water has wicked up walls 12″ – 24”. There is moisture remaining in structural materials (e.g., plywood, particleboard, and structural wood, concrete).
  • Class 3: Water Damage – Fastest Evaporation Rate: Water may have come from overhead. Ceilings, walls, insulation, carpet, cushion and sub-floor in the entire area are saturated.
  • Class 4: Water Damage – Specialty Drying Situations: These consist of wet materials with very low permeance/porosity (hardwood, plaster, brick, concrete, stone). Typically, there are deep pockets of saturation, which drying requires very low specific humidity.

Key Principles In Drying
Structural and contents consideration
When working within a residence, it is often the case that those who are performing the water damage restoration must work with and around the contents of the home. This includes, but is not limited to, furniture, electronics, books, and any other materials that may have been affected by the water damage. The moving around of the said contents is often referred to “contents manipulation.” Water damage restoration firms often bill content manipulation on a per hour basis. Contents may also require treatment due to the effects of water damage. This may include, but is not limited to, sterilization, sanitation, drying, and storing of said contents. Other contents may simply be un-salvageable (i.e: a total loss) due to the cost of having it salvaged would exceed its current value. In these cases, the contents would be discarded.

 It is important to be proactive in the monitoring process. Many questions have to be asked and answered: Is the drying equipment set up properly? Are the personnel qualified to adjust equipment placement and conduct new techniques? Are the machines in good working order and are they maintained properly? Perform a background check and ask for references prior to hiring a contractor to restore your dwelling back to its pre-loss state. After the water has been extracted and any non-salvageable materials have been removed, water damage professionals should place drying equipment according to industry guidelines for capacity in the affected areas. Industry standards state that drying vendors should return to the residence at regular time intervals, preferably every twenty-four hours, to monitor the equipment, temperature, humidity, and moisture content of the affected walls, contents, or other affected materials. Should one area be dry and another affected area still wet, the firm will relocate or remove equipment accordingly.

Once the temperature, humidity, and moisture content is deemed acceptable and safe according to industry standards, the water damage restoration equipment would be removed and the water damage restoration process would be complete. Some homeowners, property managers, building maintenance operators use their own personnel to perform water damage restoration to save on the growing costs, it is prescribed to hire a professional water damage restoration company to perform these services since there are defining criteria and methods to be used for assessing water damage and establishing restoration procedures. Also, because of the unique circumstances of every water damage restoration project, it is impractical to issue blanket rules intended to a situation. In extenuating circumstance, deviation from portions of the S500 may be appropriate. In performing a job, carelessness is never acceptable and common sense should always prevail.

Water Damage vs. Flood Damage

Water Damage

Flood Damage Vs. Water Damage

It Pays To Know The Difference

Water, water everywhere, but not a drop should be there. With dismay, you discover that your home is filled with damaging water. Will your insurance policy cover this loss? That depends on the type of insurance you chose to purchase and how the water entered your house.
There basically are two insurance policies that deal with a homeowner’s damage due to water — a flood insurance policy and a homeowners insurance policy. Losses not covered by one of these policies may be covered by the other. Knowing the losses to which your home could be exposed will help you decide whether to buy one or both of these insurance coverage.
While insurance policies may differ in the coverage provided from homeowner to homeowner, there often are basic features common to all policies. You should ask your insurance agent or insurance company about the specifics of your insurance policy. In the meantime, the Insurance Information Network of California (IINC) offers the following general information based on standard insurance policies.
As the name implies, a standard flood insurance policy, which is written by the National Flood Insurance Program, provides coverage up to the policy limit for damage caused by flood. The dictionary defines “flood” as a rising and overflowing of a body of water onto normally dry land. For insurance purposes, the word “rising” in this definition is the key to distinguishing flood damage from water damage. Generally, damage caused by water that has been on the ground at some point before damaging your home is considered to be flood damage. A handful of examples of flood damage include:
A nearby river overflows its banks and washes into your home.
A heavy rain seeps into your basement because the soil can’t absorb the water quickly enough
A heavy rain or flash flood causes the hill behind your house to collapse into a mud slide that oozes into your home.

Flood damage to your home can be insured only with a flood insurance policy — no other insurance will cover flood damage. Flood insurance is available through your insurance agent, insurance company or local Federal Emergency Management Office (FEMA). To determine if your home is located in a flood plain, contact your county planning office. If you are living in a flood plain, flood insurance may be an excellent purchase.
A homeowners insurance policy doesn’t provide coverage for flood damage, but it does provide coverage for many types of water damage to your home. Just the opposite from flood damage, for insurance purposes, water damage is considered to occur when water damages your home before the water comes in contact with the ground. A few examples of water damage include:
A hailstorm smashes your window, permitting hail and rain free access into your home.
A heavy rain soaks through the roof, allowing water to drip through your attic or ceiling.
A broken water pipe spews water into your home.

Even if flood or water damage is not covered by your homeowners insurance policy, losses from theft, fire or explosion resulting from water damage is covered. For example, if a nearby creek overflows and floods your home, and looters steal some of your furnishings after you evacuate, the theft would be covered by your homeowners insurance because it is a direct result of the water damage. However, the flood damage would be covered only if you have flood insurance.
It’s important to note that flood insurance and homeowners insurance do not duplicate coverage for water damage. Instead, they complement each other.
It is up to you to talk to your insurance agent or insurance company about flood insurance and homeowners insurance, and then decide which insurance coverage you need to protect your home, its contents and your family.

Information provided by:

Weekly Photo Challenge: Illumination

Weekly Photo Challenge: Illumination.

What to do after discovering there’s a leak!

What to do when you discover a leak?

1st You should try to locate the source of the leak

2nd You should make sure to shut off the water and call a plumber, after the plumber has located the source and fixed the problem, you should check to see if the surrounding area shows any signs of dampness or black / greenish spots indicating possible mold. You should never try to open any walls on your own mainly because if there has been a slow leak for any length of time you most likely have mold growing (it only takes 2-3 days for mold to start growing). Mold can grow anywhere however, remember its ideal environment is usually a damp, dark and humid climate.

3rd Should you discover mold you need to contact a restoration company right away! The longer you wait the more damage that is caused and the more expensive the problem becomes. You should not try and  mitigate the problem yourself mainly because you run the risk of spreading any possible mold that there is. Depending on the type of mold you’re dealing with, if you do open the walls you can disturb the mold causing it to release spores and toxins into the air making the air quality in your home unhealthy for you and your family. It may also potentially  cause an allergic reaction to you or especially any asthmatic people in your home.

Remember to choose the right company for you, check to make sure that they are available 24/7, not all issues happen between the hours of 9-5! Check to see if they are licensed and have enough equipment and technicians to properly handle your situation.