As we all know, trees come from the outdoors, so the chances that they have mold spores are most certain. These spores cause allergies and bothersome reactions in many of us. However, you can still enjoy your Christmas tree by following these steps to reduce the amount of mold on it. The mold should be removed before bringing your tree into the home.
Treating a Moldy Tree
Real Christmas trees will need to be treated with a professional grade fungicide. You can get these supplies at a local hardware store. You can also make fungicide by combining 3 tablespoons baking soda, 1 tablespoon bleach, 1 tablespoon dishwashing liquid, and a gallon of water. Stir these together and then put it into a spray bottle. Spray your entire tree outdoors and allow it to completely dry for 24 hours.
Placing an air purifier in the home will help to keep the air clean and fresh. Air purifiers can be bought in most department stores and hardware stores. They work to extract allergens such as mold spores from the air. This allows you to breathe in clean, healthy air instead of air that is plagued with pollutants. You can leave the air purifier constantly running in the room so that it’s always working to filter your air.
Keeping the Water Mold-Free
The tree is sitting in dormant water which can easily become overrun with mold spores. The best way to prevent this is to add 2 ounces of bleach to the water in the tree’s base. This will prevent mold spores from growing and forming into mold infestations under your Christmas tree. If you are smart about planning your Christmas tree you can ensure that your family won’t be dealing with any annoying allergies indoors this winter season.
Call Water Damage Zone, Inc. today (877) 520.1923– your future bills may be a lot smaller, if you follow these simple tips. You can also visit our sister company for further information on restoration services at Best American Builders.
We specialize in the following services:
Water Damage Zone, Inc.
15115 Califa St. Ste. C
Van Nuys, CA 91411