Seeing a toilet begin to overflow is often like watching a car crash. You know it’s coming, but there’s not much you can do to stop it. Toilet overflows can be stopped if you act quickly and follow these steps:
1. Switch the water supply off to the toilet as quickly as possible. It is a metal valve that is usually located near the bottom side of the bowl. Turn it counterclockwise to shut it off. This will prevent the toilet from having the water that it needs to keep overflowing.
2. Take the top off from the tank on the back of the toilet. Lift the float ball high so that the water stops running. Now all the water should be off so that you can begin to figure out what you need to do to fix your toilet.
3. Grab a plunger and apply it to the hole inside of the toilet bowl. It should be covering the entire hole completely. Continue to pump the toilet, increasing in power as you work. This should dislodge difficult clogs and allow water to pass through your pipes.
4. Also, if the issue is with the float mechanism in the tank of the toilet, it can be adjusted to be lower in the tank. This will prevent the tank of your toilet from overflowing. Check to make sure that the chain on the float mechanism isn’t caught on anything.
5. If this problem persists or becomes unmanageable, call a plumber or water damage professionals like Water Damage Zone to fix your overflowing toilet.
By catching a toilet overflow early and fixing it, you can prevent yourself from dealing with worse problems in the future. If your pipes become heavily clogged, it can often be impossible to clear all of the debris from them. Professionals have the expertise needed to effectively and completely restore your toilet to its original condition.
Call Water Damage Zone today (877) 520-1923 your future bills may be a lot smaller, if you follow these simple tips. You can also visit our sister company for further information on restoration services at Best American Builders.
We specialize in the following services:
- 24/7 Emergency Response, Water Extraction, Water Damage
- Direct Billing to Insurance, Locally Owned and Operated
- Water Cleanup, Water Dry outs, Visual Mold Inspections, Sewage Damage Cleanup
- Sterilizing & Odor Removal, Licensed & Bonded #963976, Reputable Los Angeles based company
- Image from depositphotos, ID 15892692
- Shutterstock Sequence Number: US-041C159DA-1
Water Damage Zone, Inc.
15115 Califa St. Ste. C
Van Nuys, CA 91411