Many new, front-loading washing machines have been found to grow hidden mold inside of them. This can cause your clothing to become horribly smelly and for bacteria to begin growing inside of the machine and on your belongings. Many customers are upset over models that were bought until the late 2000’s that allow mold to grow hidden inside of them. Not only is this a dangerous situation for your health, but it also leaves all of your clothes with a bad smell you can’t get rid of. These machines are in the homes of many who may not even realize that there is mold inside of them.
Front-Loader Washing Machines
A front-loader is a washing machine where the cover opens on the front of the machine as opposed to the top. On top-loaders the moisture rises out of the top of the machine, helping prevent moisture from accumulating inside. However, on front-loaders the environment in the machine remains airtight so that moisture stays inside. This combined with the humidity creates a breeding ground for mold.
Can I Still Use My Front-Loader?
Don’t fear, if you have a front-loader washing machine there are things you can do to prevent it from getting foul-smelling and moldy. Here are some tips on keeping your machine clean and mold-free:
1. Leave the door open when you’re not using it so it can dry out. (Be careful that kids and pets can’t climb inside.)
2. Run a bleach cycle through the machine regularly, at least twice a month. This will help to clean the machine and kill any mold that may be lingering inside.
3. Wipe down your entire machine, inside and out, with a dry towel so that any excess moisture isn’t allowed to sit overnight.
4. Choose low-sudsing detergents made for high efficiency washing machines. A lot of times the powder detergents will work well too.
Possible Mold-Growing Washing Machine Models
Some washing machines that had lawsuits filed against them, sold between 2001 and 2008:
WHIRLPOOL DUET SPORT
KENMORE ELITE HE
Call Water Damage Zone, Inc. today (877) 520.1923– your future bills may be a lot smaller, if you follow these simple tips. You can also visit our sister company for further information on restoration services at Best American Builders.
We specialize in the following services:
- 24/7 Emergency Response
- Water Extraction
- Water Damage
- Direct Billing to Insurance
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Water Cleanup
- Water Dry outs
- Visual Mold Inspections
- Sewage Damage Cleanup
- Sterilizing & Odor Removal
- Licensed & Bonded #963976
- Reputable Los Angeles based company
Water Damage Zone, Inc.
15115 Califa St. Ste. C
Van Nuys, CA 91411