4th of July Fire Safety Tips…
There is roughly more than $35,000,000 per year in fire damages nationally. These fires are due to fireworks, and decorations that are accented with fireworks. This ends up being expensive, not only for the government, and insurance companies, but also families who lose everything due to a fire. Even with insurance, families lose their private positions that may not be replicable or their lives.
Under California law, illegal fireworks include sky rockets, bottle rockets, roman candles, aerial shells, firecrackers and other miscellaneous types that explode, go up in the air, or move about the ground in an uncontrollable fashion. Those convicted could be fined up to $50,000 and sent to prison or jail for up to one year.
In 286 communities in the state, “safe and sane” fireworks are permitted. However, State fire officials want to remind those who choose to purchase legal fireworks this year to make sure they purchase only those with the “Safe and Sane” State Fire Marshal seal they are only used in the community where they are purchased. It is illegal to sell, transport, posses, or use any fireworks in areas where they are not allowed. Even “Safe and Sane” fireworks can be dangerous if used unsafely.
Severe burns, amputations, blindness, and, in some cases, deaths are often the result of 4th of July celebrations. CAL FIRE’s Office of the State Fire Marshal has the following tips:
- Always read directions.
- Always have an adult present.
- Use fireworks outdoors only.
- Never use near dry grass or other flammable materials.
- Light one at a time. Keep a safe distance.
- Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
- Never experiment with fireworks.
- Have a bucket of water and a hose handy.
- Never attempt to re-light or “fix” fireworks.
- Do not wear loose fitting clothing.
- Never carry fireworks in your pockets.
- Fireworks are not toys.
- Use only State Fire Marshal approved fireworks…
List of 290 Communities Permitting State-Approved Fireworks: